Tuesday, January 07, 2020

DENNIS ANDERSON #31 LINFIELD FOOTBALL 1954


A member of Linfield College Class of 1958, is hometown was Menlo Park, Calif., and he graduated in 1954 from Menlo-Atherton High School, Atherton, Calif.

Linfield Hall of Famer DENNIS ANDERSON, Class of 1958. 


His research discovered Linfield's nationally famous "The Streak" of Wildcat football. Read about his discovery. What follows (link) includes text from a story about Dennis and “The Streak” from the Los Angeles Times:

As a Linfield football player he wore #31. See photo. Read Dennis' Hall of Fame bio:



The photo you see here is cropped from a photo of Dennis in a classic football receiver pose. Read on. 


Teammates with Dennis on the 1954 Wildcat football team included future Linfield Hall of Famers #47 Vic Fox (Class of 1958) ) and #43 Howard Morris (Class of 1958). 


Vic, Howard, and Hall of Famer #32 Ad Rutschman (Class of 1954) are the only former Linfield football players to have their uniform numbers retired.


Dennis said, “Other than his crunching hits and toughness in games, my most vivid memory of Vic Fox was on my first day of Linfield football. Picture this: 


--“It is a warm evening in late August 1954. I had arrived the previous day -- my first time on the Linfield campus.


(His hometown was Menlo Park, Calif., and he graduated in 1954 from Menlo-Atherton High School, Atherton, Calif.)


--“After issuing equipment, our first activity was individual football player photos at Maxwell Field.


“Paul Durham was the photographer -- head coach, athletic director, News-Register sports editor and columnist, and Linfield sports information photographer.


“I think Coach Durham asked me what position I played. I was not recruited and had received one ‘Welcome to the Team’ letter with summer conditioning instructions from him because I had indicated my intention to play football on my application.


“Coach/Photographer Durham put me in the classic pose used for all tall pass receivers in those days, standing with my arms raised as high as I could and a football on fingertips of my right hand. 


“Coach Durham lay on his back on the grass to take the photo -- emphasizing my height; I was 6-feet-4, but barely 180 pounds.

“Vic Fox was lying on his side, chewing on a blade of grass, surveying the activity.


“He looked at me and drawled, ‘The bigger they come, the harder they fall.’


“Intimidation achieved.”


...................