Friday, January 29, 2016

Linfield Football praised by NBA Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach



Thanks to Ross Peterson, via Bob Ferguson, here’s mention of Linfield Football from Jay Triano (photo), NBA Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach. The mention appears in a “Kerry Eggers on Sports” column in the 1/26/2016 Portland Tribune.

Triano was disappointed to have not played against Linfield in his one season playing football for Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, B.C., Canada.)

“That’s one of the programs I’ve always respected,” Triano told Eggers. “To this day, I respect what (the Wildcats) do in football. When I was coaching basketball at Simon Fraser (1988-95), I’d drive down with our football coaches to watch Linfield play — six hours one way. 

“Simon Fraser had 300-pound guys going to the CFL, but they got kicked by Linfield. (The Wildcats) were smaller, but their technique was just so impressive. I was blown away. I’ve always respected good coaching. That’s one of the programs I’ve always looked up to. I follow their scores every season.” 

Read the entire column here: