Friday, December 11, 2015

Linfield Football Coach Joe Smith: ' I love where we're working and believe in what we're doing.'



Linfield is coach Joseph Smith's likely future for years to come

By Nick Daschel for Oregonian 12/10/2015 electronically, 12/11/2015 in print



McMINNVILLE -- Joseph Smith is just Linfield's fourth football coach since 1968, and in his mind, it would take something very appealing to get him to leave his current post.

But someone with Smith's resume is bound to eventually catch the attention of someone prominent. It's why Smith says his future at Linfield is year-to-year, as it's been since he became the Wildcats' head coach in 2006.

In 10 seasons at Linfield, Smith is 94-17, a winning percentage of .847, best in school history.

"You just don't leave Linfield to be coach somewhere else unless it's a really good place. There aren't a lot of jobs that interest me. I have kids in high school, and I'm not ever going to be a coach who moves six times in six years," Smith said.

Smith says he get "inquiries pretty much every year." He says salary is comparable at most places in NCAA Division III, Division II and FCS.

"I-A (FBS) is where the payout is," Smith said. "But it's so different at the Division I level, with the guys you have there. I love where we're working and believe in what we're doing."

The last Linfield football coach to leave was Jay Locey, who like Smith, led the program for 10 years and won an NCAA Division III title in 2004.

But the circumstances were different for Locey than Smith. Locey left to become an assistant coach at Oregon State, where he was reunited with childhood friend Mike Riley. Locey's aging parents lived in Corvallis, as well as other family and friends. Locey spent nine years at OSU before leaving to become football coach at Lewis & Clark.

"He was a Beaver. It's different for me. I played here. There's really not a place I dreamed of coaching at," Smith said.

That's not entirely true.

"At one time, I thought I'd coach in the NFL and coach the Oakland Raiders. That's what I thought as a kid," Smith said.

Smith doesn't expect the Raiders to call any time soon. But another coaching job of intrigue? It's a possible phone call for some future day.

"I imagine there will be a job someday that I'll be interested in enough to strongly consider it," Smith said.