Sunday, August 10, 2014

Bob Haack as a Willamette Bearcat? It almost happened!

















Bob Haack lettered playing Linfield football in the 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1968 seasons. He also played JV baseball and basketball for the Wildcats and even wrestled in one match for Linfield.



But, you know that. Are you aware that out of high school, Bob almost became a Willamette University Bearcat? (See WU “Barney Bearcat” logo.)



Born in Remsen (Plymouth County), Iowa, Bob was raised on a hog farm in that Midwestern state. He moved with his family from Iowa to Oregon and lived in Eugene two years before his family moved to Dallas, Ore., near Salem.



The move was at what would have been the start of his junior year at North Eugene High School.



“My North Eugene coaches -- Mel Krause, Ron Walp, Nick Robinson and Tom Stone -- wanted me to stay there and had arranged for me to live with another family in Eugene. When my dad learned about this plan, he said, “Bull****. You are moving with the family to Dallas,” Bob said.



“So, move I did. I played sports at Dallas High School, home of the Dragons .” (See photo of  Bob’s Dallas “D” athletic letter.)



He played football at Dallas for Wes Ediger (1963) and Bill Dressel (1964); basketball under Ray Olson (1963-1964) and Bob Cantonwine (1964-1965); and baseball under Ray Olson (1964) and Del Kerber (1965).



Coaches Dressel and Olson are Linfield graduates and they had several Linfield graduates assisting: Paul Ward, Jim Fairchild, Ron August and several others at Dallas Junior High School.



But, none of them spoke to Bob about Linfield. He’d never heard of Linfield until it was time for him to tell Willamette University he was going to there and play sports.  “Coaches for the Willamette Bearcats had been talking to me all through football and basketball, taking me to lunch about every other week during basketball and baseball during my senior year (1964-1965),” said Bob. During this time  he was baseball 1st team TYV (Tualatin Yamhill Valley) League, 2nd Team All State, Oregon Statesman newspaper of Salem. As a junior, he was 1st team TYV League pitcher and 2nd team All State, Statesman.   He had an elbow injury and did not pitch during his Dallas High senior year.



“When Bill Dressel heard that I was going to Willamette, he told me about a great small college, Linfield in McMinnville,” said Bob.



“I had no warm feelings when I heard “McMinnville,” due to the bitter Dallas vs. McMinnville TYV League high school sports battles. However, I agreed to go with Bill Dressel to meet Linfield coaches who were playing that weekend at the Bayou Golf Course in McMinnville.



“When we arrived at the Bayou, Bill arranged for me to be the caddie for the coaches. So, during the nine holes, I rotated from Paul Durham (football), to Roy Helser (baseball) and closing with Ted Wilson (men’s basketball).



“It was fun and I heard many stories about the Northwest Conference and Linfield battles with conference opponents. I also, learned a great deal about each of the coaches and how committed they were to Linfield. But, more importantly to me was their commitment to the lives of their Linfield student-athletes!



“We all met in the Bayou club house afterwards. I was prepared for food and beverage, but discovered quickly I was on my own dollar. So, I purchased a Coke and a bag of peanuts. Coach Dressel told me it was time to go. As we walked towards the car, Coach Durham met us and had a question for me.



“Before the question, Coach Durham praised the academic excellence and the athletic programs of Willamette and the long traditional rivalry between Linfield and Willamette.



Then, coach asked me, ‘How important is winning to you, Bob?’



“I realized right there and then, Linfield was the school for me.”

...........................................

















Bob Haack (#43) as an All-TYV (Tualatin Yamhill Valley) League basketball player for Dallas High School as a senior, 1964-1965 season, in a game at Forest Grove. Thanks to Tom Rohlffs (Class of 1969) for photo.