Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ad Rutschman: Mentor to Mike Riley, Nebraska head football coach



In the Omaha World-Herald of about March 10, 2015, Mike Riley, new Nebraska head football coach/former Oregon State head football coach/former Linfield assistant football coach, talks about his mentors: Bear Bryant, Alabama (1971-1974), Ad Rutschman,Linfield (1977-1982) and John Robinson, USC (1993-1996).  Text about Coach Rutschman (who was head coach of Linfield football, 1968-1991) is below:


AD RUTSCHMAN

Linfield College (1977-82)


“Ad Rutschman was a teacher. He’s actually the best teacher of sports technique that I’ve ever been around. He taught guys how to play. I was an assistant for him in kind of three ways. When you’re at a small college, everybody wears a bunch of hats. He was the athletic director, the head football coach and the head baseball coach. So I did a lot of administrative stuff for him in the athletic director part of it, I was defensive coordinator for his football team and I was the JV baseball coach for his baseball program. So I got to basically follow him around and be with him all the time. I think the biggest thing I got from him is that he taught guys how to play. How to hit, how to field, how to pitch. It was how to drive-block, how to backpedal. He could teach it all. He was one guy in football that I’ve known that could coach any position. To this day, I admire that because there’s not many guys like that. I don’t claim to be that guy. I think it’s hard technically to be an expert at all that different stuff. He taught guys how to do things.”


Photo shows clipping from the World-Herald. Thanks to Gerry Painter, Wildcatville contributor, for providing the clip. 


To read the entire piece, go to this URL ...
... scroll down a bit and look for the Mike Riley mentors sidebar to an article about Paul Chryst, Wisconsin head football coach. Or, click on the photo above to make it larger and the sidebar easy to read.