Saturday, October 12, 2013

Linfielder Steve 'Sparky' Davis is facing a major health challenge


In September 2013, Steve "Sparky" Davis, Linfield Class of 1972, was diagnosed with leukemia, He is undergoing chemotherapy treatment at the OHSU in Portland. A Linfield Athletics Hall of Fame member, Steve is a former Wildcat football player and sports info director whose volunteer duties for Linfield Athletics include managing concessions at Linfield home football games. Learn about his nickname here. 



He is Oregon sales representative for Daktronics, the world's industry leader in designing and manufacturing electronic scoreboards, programmable display systems and large screen video displays. There are many Daktronics products used at Linfield athletic venues.

Steve's Daktronics bio:

Professional Life:
"I graduated from Linfield College (McMinnville, OR) in 1972 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. My minor was in Communications (journalism and speech). After that, I served as the Sports Information Director at Linfield College from 1973-1974 and again from 1979-1980. I spent six years in electrical wholesale distributor sales.

"I was fortunate to enjoy 20 years of experience in the Electrical Contracting field. While there, I worked in project management, lighting design, and various company management duties. All of these things helped me to prepare for my work with Daktronics. I began my career with Daktronics in 2000 when I took a position with the Daktronics Sales and Service (DSS) office in Portland, OR.

Personal Life:
"My love of athletics has extended into my personal life as well. I have enjoyed coaching Youth Girl’s Fastpitch Softball for 14 summers. In 1995, I was the Head Girl’s Softball Coach at McMinnville High School. Over the years, I’ve been fortunate to be honored by some fantastic friends and colleagues. In 1979, I received the 2nd place award for NAIA Football Media Guide. In 1988, I was awarded the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) District 2 Meritorious Service Award. That same year, I also received the Alumni Distinguished Service Award from Linfield College. In 2003 I was honored again when Linfield College inducted me into the Linfield College Athletics Hall of Fame for Meritorious Service. Most recently, I was inducted into the 2011 North Salem High School Hall of Fame as a member of the 1967 State Championship baseball team.

"I have been lucky enough to share these experiences with my wife, Marilyn (married since 1971), our two daughters, Rori and Rhonda (their husbands Ryan and Ron), and my six grandchildren."

................................













Purple wristbands in support of Steve Davis were distributed to fans. The Wildcatville photos here show wristbands of Kip Patterson ("WIN MY DAY") and Scott Carnahan ("STEVE DAVIS") during 9/21/2013 Cal Luth at Linfield football game.