Friday, October 29, 2010

'We are the few, we are the proud, we are the Wildcats'


Below is the original version of the letter Wildcat football fan Bryant Leathers of McMinnville sent about the Linfield 2009 football season to the McMinnville News-Register. The N-R ran an edited -- Bryant had to edit out about 86 words – to meet the newspaper's “2000 characters or approximately 300 words.” Limit. See the version the N-R ran, headlined "Congratulations, Linfield," on Dec. 19, 2009. See that version of the letter here. (But, you must scroll down to find the letter.)

Bryant (left) and Leo at Maxwell Field on 10/16/2010

before Pacific at Linfield football game.

I was 5 years old in 1963 when I watched my first Linfield College football game. At that time, they played at night under the lights and I thought I was watching a real professional football game, just like the games I watched on T.V.

Fast forward to 2009 and I am still enjoying the the greatest game ever invented. I have witnessed the 82, 84 and 86 teams that won the NAIA National Championship, I have witnessed the 2004 team that won the NCAA division 3 National Championship, I have seen Monday Night Football show video of Linfield football when that (certain play) happened a long time ago, and I have witnessed the 54 or is it 55 consecutive winning seasons the Linfield football teams have produced.

But I have to admit I am probably more impressed with Linfield football this year than I have been in a long time. I really can’t put my finger on why I was so surprised by the Wildcats this year, but a dear friend of mine might have said it best, he said, Bryant “They’re just a motley crew that plays’ well together”. With apologies to the players on the team, we were a team without what people call (Star players). We were a team that started the season with a daunting schedule and kept just winning games.

I have watched Linfield football from the coaching days of Paul Durham to Ad Rutchman on through to present day coach Smith, I have even been told by my father of Coach Lever, a man who coached Linfield football before Durham, and may I add is the name of the street that runs directly behind Maxwell field, but I will remember this team as a team that overcame a very tough schedule, and my own doubts to finish with a 12-1 record, a ranking of # 3 in the nation and a newfound respect from a loyal fan (Me).

I will continue to attend Linfield games with my Dad, we will carry our portable chairs and seat ourselves in the north end zone as usual and enjoy this great game called Linfield Football. The Marines have a motto that I will incorporate into Linfield football from now on, “we are the FEW, we are the PROUD, we are the WILDCATS”. Congratulations Linfield College on a great season, you should be proud.


Bryant Leathers
McMinnville